For twelve years Charles Gilbert Shaw had his photo studio at 100 ½ W. Sixth Street and lived with his wife, Coralie, a few blocks away at 211 E. Sixth. In the spring of 1937, Walter Allen purchased Shaw’s home and moved the Allen Funeral Home, established in 1917, from 212 S. Walnut into Shaw’s vacated residence. A full-page ad in the 1938-39 Bloomington City Directory shows the funeral home, as shown above, in its new location.
For more than 25 years, the Allen Funeral Home remained on the northeast corner of Sixth and Washington across the street from the public library that now houses the Monroe County History Center. Sometime between 1964 and 1966, the business moved into a brand new building on East Third Street not far from the then new and very popular College Mall. The vacated property at 211 E. Sixth was converted for use as the courthouse annex.
Later yet, the original structure was expanded, modified, gated and painted white. It became known as the Allen Court apartment complex. If you look carefully at the photo below, you can see the bones of the old building under the rather elegant-looking façade at the entrance of the complex. The appearance of the existing structure is very different from that of any other apartment complex in Bloomington.
We are lucky to have had this historic property so well preserved!
The clipping noted below, written by Agnes McCulloch Hanna, was published in an undated, unsourced Bloomington newspaper under a column called “Looking Back.” It was found in a scrapbook compiled by a man named Fred Lockwood. The scrapbook is held by the Monroe County History Center, Bloomington, Indiana. The item below was abbreviated from the original, as noted by the ellipsis, and excludes much of the information pertaining to the home built by Joshua Owen Howe later the property of David H. Maxwell.
According to information from the Rose Hill Cemetery Index, David H. Maxwell was born September 17, 1786, and died May 24, 1854. His burial was in Rose Hill.
…Dr. David Hervey Maxwell had written the constitution of our state with his own hand, and it may be seen to this day in our archives. In 1838 his son, Dr. James D. Maxwell was elected to the Board of Trustees of Indiana University and held this office with the exception of a short period until his death in 1892. In the discharge of his duties as secretary and trustee, he was noted for his fidelity and abiding faith in the ultimate success of the institution.
He helped his college through trial by fire and political controversy and was steadfast to it. He saw it develop to the new and enlarged institution on its new campus. Maxwell Hall is named in honor of David Hervey and James Darwin Maxwell. His service rendered with no financial reward. Miss Juliette Maxwell, youngest of his daughters, offers an annual prize to women students of the university, the James Darwin Maxwell medal, for excellence in scholarship and principals.
In a spacious house [on S. College Avenue, described at length in an earlier MCHC library blog] he and Mrs. Maxwell entertained twice each year the trustees and members of the faculty and their wives at dinner parties. Dr. James Darwin Maxwell was born in 1815 near Hanover, Ind. Of his ten children, three daughters are living—Mrs. Allan B. Philputt of Indianapolis, Miss Juliette Maxwell who resigned recently from the department of physical training at the university, and Miss Fannie Bell Maxwell, formerly an instructor at Ferry Hall, Lake Forest, Ill. Mrs. Grace Philputt Young, his granddaughter, is a member of the Department of Romance Languages of which her husband is the head at Indiana.
This is a family which is tied intimately to our state and its university. The house, which was for many years connected with the town and college, still holds its place as it is now the home of the Burton-Woolery post of the American Legion, many of whose members were graduated from the university, some of whom are attached to the university and all of whom see and take part in its activities. A long life and a happy one, the Howe-Maxwell house has had in Bloomington. Few can belong more closely to the community. –Indianapolis Star
The clipping noted below, written Agnes McCulloch Hanna, was published in an undated, unsourced Bloomington newspaper under a column called “Looking Back.” It was found in a scrapbook compiled by a man named Fred Lockwood. The scrapbook is held by the Monroe County History Center, Bloomington, Indiana. The item below was abbreviated from the original, as noted by the ellipsis, and excludes information pertaining the Maxwells’ involvement with the authorship of Indiana’s constitution and Indiana University.
The bricks for the old Joshua Owen Howe home in Bloomington were brought from Louisville, Ky., although stone lay just under the grass of the building site. The pioneers of Monroe County knew nothing of the wonderful material within their reach, and when they were ready to replace the early log structures, they sent for brick that as baked in distance kilns. These in this simple, dignified house on South College Avenue were among those brought from Kentucky.
Joshua Owen Howe came to Indiana and the village of Bloomington in 1819 and became a leading merchant. His people had come to Ellicots Mills in Maryland before the revolutionary war and were manufacturers there. In Bloomington he built his first cabin and store on the public square and cleared away great trees and underbrush that the townspeople might have easy access to his store. He lived there some 15 years. Then, having made a success of his ventures, he decided to build a new and larger home near the college. He bought a plot of ground and built the house which stands today much as he built it, although it is possible that the bay windows were later additions.
The house is three stories high. The woodwork is painted white with the exception of the doors which are cherry. The treatment of the massive window casings is unusual. All the carving and grooving is handwork. In the ceiling the plaster is indented to correspond, a means of decoration not seen before. The inside, folding shutters belong to the period.
Ten great fireplaces were in the house in the early days. They were replaced by stoves later and then by radiators. Three fireplaces are still in the house. Mrs. Allan B. Philputt of Indianapolis, one of the granddaughters of the Howe family, says that the fireplace in the south room had a very high mantel piece which was so tall that it was difficult to reach for dusting. In that sunny room Louisa “Dovie” Howe, Mrs. James Darwin Maxwell, could be found most of the hours of her busy life. The sun poured in there through the bay windows and the fire gave wonderful warmth to the babies who were rocked in the little, old rocking chair and to the older children who brought to her their troubles and joys. There she sat to mend for her children and to wait for her busy, physician husband who was riding horseback through the country on his long calls or was busy with the affairs of the new state college for which he was resident trustee. The college was a near neighbor to the Maxwell house.
The center halls of the house are wide and high. The circular staircase is the most interesting feature with easy ash treads, and the handmade bannister. The lower hall leads from the recessed front door with its silver luster bell pull to the series of rooms built at the rear, the kitchen, pantry, wash and wood houses. A brick pavement outside the last rooms had in it two cisterns called the “summer” and the “winter.” Even in those early days the infrequent rainfall was carefully conserved in Bloomington. The [American] Legion post which now owns the house has thrown two rooms together and uses the pantry as kitchen.
In 1843, Dr. James Darwin Maxwell, son of Dr. David Hervey Maxwell and Mary Dunn, married Louisa “Dovie” Howe in this house. The only bridesmaid was Jane Nowland, youngest daughter of Matthias R. Nowland of Indianapolis. Miss Nowland made her home with the Howe family while she attended the female seminary.
Ten children were born to the James Maxwell, and in spite of the fact that the grounds about the house were large and that through them ran a brook, Mrs. Maxwell said that when each of her four boys brought a companion to play and the six little girls wanted space for their games, she felt the need of a farm at the very least. So the family went to the country where there was room and to spare. The house they occupied a few miles from town has been made over into two large houses.
When the children were grown they came back to this house. Here Dr. David Hervey Maxwell came to spend his last years. He had been much interested in the development of the railroads, and as a man of vision had hoped to see one come to Bloomington. From whispers and hushed sentences about him, he was convinced that the first train was about to enter the town, and he was ill! When he was left alone on that day in 1854, he got up from his bed, dressed himself and ran across the fields between his home and the tracks and was present at the momentous entrance of the Monon train…